• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Question IEPs School Aged Children?

Are the IEPs (Individual Education Plans) any good in your local school system?

I thought that the school system where I was a substitute teacher had a great plan going but heard from parents who were upset by it all. They felt that the school should be doing something more for their children.

As a sub, I thought that one or two of the children really didn't do well in that type of classroom setting and the teacher knew it but he couldn't convince the parents who fought it. Most of the children were fine though and it was wonderful to see them graduate.

I had an IEP growing up. It seemed to help somewhat. Though after about 2 years with an IEP in the public school I ended up switching to a special education school. The public school just couldn't meet my needs. If the IEP isn't enforced the parents should be able to complain.

I had an IEP growing up. It seemed to help somewhat. Though after about 2 years with an IEP in the public school I ended up switching to a special education school. The public school just couldn't meet my needs. If the IEP isn't enforced the parents should be able to complain.

Are there formal complaints that the parents can make and is it to the teacher, the Principal or the School Board? I'm ignorant of that part of the workings of the school.

Some public school systems are better than others and I know that in my previous town, students would get a waiver from other towns to join our school just so they could be in a better special education class.

Are there formal complaints that the parents can make and is it to the teacher, the Principal or the School Board? I'm ignorant of that part of the workings of the school.

Some public school systems are better than others and I know that in my previous town, students would get a waiver from other towns to join our school just so they could be in a better special education class.
I'm assuming you are in the US? I found this resource that may be able to help:
https://adayinourshoes.com/iep-complaint-options-parents/

Yes, it's totally true some school systems are better than others. I was very fortunate to be in a decent district but know some others who weren't so lucky.

I'm assuming you are in the US? I found this resource that may be able to help:
https://adayinourshoes.com/iep-complaint-options-parents/

Yes, it's totally true some school systems are better than others. I was very fortunate to be in a decent district but know some others who weren't so lucky.

That's an excellent article. One thing that stood out is where it stated to expect that your emails could be shared so keep things professional. I think that's true with any type of communication to never expect things to remain private and when I worked, that happened to me where something I thought was said in private was passed along to someone else. It was embarrassing but only took once for it to stick in my head to be careful always.

I think that's true for parents who want to get things taken care of for their children. Don't become too emotional because that doesn't look professional.

That's an excellent article. One thing that stood out is where it stated to expect that your emails could be shared so keep things professional. I think that's true with any type of communication to never expect things to remain private and when I worked, that happened to me where something I thought was said in private was passed along to someone else. It was embarrassing but only took once for it to stick in my head to be careful always.

I think that's true for parents who want to get things taken care of for their children. Don't become too emotional because that doesn't look professional.
Yeah, things aren't always as private as they seem. Yes, best to be professional. I know it can be hard for parents not to become emotional though.

My wife is a teacher, she says Individual Education Plans are good for the overall development of kids. Not all kids have the same level of intelligence, same kind of interest in learning, and not all kids will learn at the same pace.