• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

My Brother Has Schizophrenia

I don't really talk much about my past or my family, but I wanted to tell you about my brother who is a Schizophrenic.

He was diagnosed at the age of 18 and is now 54, I remember before he was diagnosed he was perfectly fine, He would go the Gym, Jogging and swimming then one day I remember my mum trying to wake him up for work but he kind of looked like he was in a trance. He was saying that spiders were all over the bedroom and were going to attack him but of course nothing was there, My mum called my GP back then the doctor would visit you at home, GP knew right away that something was not right so he admitted my brother to hospital and was sectioned.

Later found out is that before he became unwell he went to see Billy Graham but not quite sure what Billy said but it led to my brothers breakdown.

Fast forward to this present day, my brother has been sectioned numerous times and is in a care home because he can't walk and uses a wheelchair.

I know it's my brothers illness but he can be quite violent and has attacked staff and even myself, I could say a lot more but I won't because some of it is very upsetting.

Thank you for sharing your story @Catsmother

Those evangelists spit out some of the most toxic rubbish ever to fall upon human ears and they do get inside peoples heads. That’s principally how they work, they prey on people’s fears and insecurities.

I’m very sorry to hear of your brothers life long struggle with that terrible affliction. I can only imagine how traumatic it must be to remember him the way he once was, and witness the effects of that horrible condition.

I hope he is well looked after and that you too are supported.

That is heartbreaking @Catsmother. Two of my friends brothers also became schizophrenic in their late teens. We never knew if their experimentation with drugs brought it on, or it's just that the onset of the illness commonly begins in their teens.

Your story reminded me of my friend's brother who started going to church and seemed to be alright for a while, but over time he was becoming more unstable. He eventually wound up being institutionalized. I think he had been suffering in silence for a while and he was trying to find peace, but there is mental illness in their family line and his trying LSD pushed him over the edge.

I always pray for peace of mind for those troubled souls. I can't imagine what awful torments they endure, not to mention their loved ones who suffer too.

Thank you for sharing your story @Catsmother

Those evangelists spit out some of the most toxic rubbish ever to fall upon human ears and they do get inside peoples heads. That’s principally how they work, they prey on people’s fears and insecurities.

I’m very sorry to hear of your brothers life long struggle with that terrible affliction. I can only imagine how traumatic it must be to remember him the way he once was, and witness the effects of that horrible condition.

I hope he is well looked after and that you too are supported.
Thank you @mist

Yeah it has been very difficult over the years to watch him suffer so much. I agree about the toxic rubbish.

That is heartbreaking @Catsmother. Two of my friends brothers also became schizophrenic in their late teens. We never knew if their experimentation with drugs brought it on, or it's just that the onset of the illness commonly begins in their teens.

Your story reminded me of my friend's brother who started going to church and seemed to be alright for a while, but over time he was becoming more unstable. He eventually wound up being institutionalized. I think he had been suffering in silence for a while and he was trying to find peace, but there is mental illness in their family line and his trying LSD pushed him over the edge.

I always pray for peace of mind for those troubled souls. I can't imagine what awful torments they endure, not to mention their loved ones who suffer too.
It is heartbreaking @Foxy
My brother is older than me, I haven't seen him in awhile either because of COVID. Mental illness runs in my family too, although undiagnosed I am sure that my mother had a mental illness too.

It is upsetting watching those close to you suffer.

I don’t really subscribe to the theory of drug use being a catalyst for psychosis. I have taken many recreational drugs over the years including psychotropic and hallucinogenic substances, for various reasons but primarily to enhance my creativity as a musician and I never suffered from any adverse side effects.

Of course, there are many negative effects of drug use, but talking specifically about psychoactive’s and their long terms effects on the brain, I think it’s a little too easy to place the blame there.

External influencers seem to be far more damaging to a persons perceptions of the world around them than a short term high, for example being preached to and putting the fear of god into someone, so to speak, is in my opinion far worse.

This is just my opinion of course.

There are indeed some truly toxic preachers out there who have done real harm to vulnerable people. There is a huge difference between doing God's will and doing your own will in the name of God. @mist posted a funny video today of one of the slickest snake oil salesmen by the name of Robert Tilton. He fooled thousands of people into parting with their money. Many of those people believed he had the power to heal their minds, bodies or help them out of impossible circumstances. All that con man could do was trick people and make himself filthy rich.

This is why I always stress the importance of having a personal relationship with God. It helps you to discern whether someone claiming to be a preacher or teacher is indeed a true follower or just another greedy counterfeit who is really serving the devil.

sorry to read this Catsmother, it is an awful illness that can affect people after they have had a perfectly healthy childhood, no idea why it comes on for some people and not others , it's very tough when it affects a family member and what to do for the best to try to help? hope he is doing ok at the moment

sorry to read this Catsmother, it is an awful illness that can affect people after they have had a perfectly healthy childhood, no idea why it comes on for some people and not others , it's very tough when it affects a family member and what to do for the best to try to help? hope he is doing ok at the moment
Thank you and I agree, think It can take just a small trigger :(