• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Sleep issues

Thanks for letting me know that @Catsmother . It'll probably be fine. I always build things up in my mind to be far worse than they actually turn out to be. Hopefully this is the case this time.
Yeah you sound like me worrying about it, honestly it is not as bad as you may think, I know the mask wearing is horrible though so maybe mention that to your case worker that it sets your anxiety off wearing one for a period of time

I've managed to speak to my case worker and I have an appointment with her next Wednesday. She's quite concerned about me so wants a face to face meeting despite the situation with the virus. I'm very anxious about it. It's going to be at the local community hospital and there will be lots of people around. I'm already thinking about backing out of the appointment due to my anxiety. I'm just not sure if I can handle it all. But I really need some help so I will try to be brave and go.

I know you are nervous, but you need to know what is going on for the sake of being able to sleep again, Sleep no matter what and how it happens is very important in everyday life, Have your talk with them, whether you want to know the out come or not, if you don't talk to them, you will feel more worried than you do now. You need to get an answer for your own well being, I have had alot of issues with sleeping for many reasons and the outcome is not safe by staying isolated and get more down and your body will react to it. Let them know exactly how you are feeling and they symptoms of what you are going thru, if you don't , you don't want it to get worst. I can sense it in your tone in your comments. It is ok to be scared, that is a natural feeling we all go through, you will get thru it, We have all gone thru similar with sleep, it is a must to have it checked out. Keep us posted, you are not alone. It will be ok.

Thanks for letting me know that @Catsmother . It'll probably be fine. I always build things up in my mind to be far worse than they actually turn out to be. Hopefully this is the case this time.

Just checking up on you

It's my appointment with my case worker tomorrow afternoon and I am getting more and more anxious about it. I haven't been in a hospital setting for a long time and I'll have to sit in the waiting area wearing a mask and the whole thing freaks me out. I'm scared. I nearly cancelled the appointment today but I am so desperate for help, I will go. I'm still sleeping badly and having bad dreams too.

Thanks for asking @ZandraJoi . I was very nervous about it but the appointment went well. My case worker is going to get the psychiatrist to call me to sort out a medication to help me sleep. She thinks it's vital to get that organised. I haven't heard from the psychiatrist yet. I've got another appointment with my case worker next Wednesday.

I just thought I'd update you all. My second appointment was extremely emotional as I discussed some very heavy issues. Unfortunately the psychiatrist has been too busy to review my case and that means I have to continue to deal with my poor sleep and nightmares on my own. I was hoping to hear that I've been prescribed something to help with these problems,so I'm feeling pretty down. I'm still experiencing nightmares most nights and waking up in the middle of a panic attack. Anyway. My next appointment is on 14th October. That seems like ages away.

I just thought I'd update you all. My second appointment was extremely emotional as I discussed some very heavy issues. Unfortunately the psychiatrist has been too busy to review my case and that means I have to continue to deal with my poor sleep and nightmares on my own. I was hoping to hear that I've been prescribed something to help with these problems,so I'm feeling pretty down. I'm still experiencing nightmares most nights and waking up in the middle of a panic attack. Anyway. My next appointment is on 14th October. That seems like ages away.
It is ridiculous on how we're left waiting, also I know mental health services have had a lot of cutbacks, I was discharged from the mental health team without a warning :( so if I had a crisis I honestly don't know who I would call.

Well talk more with your friends on forums like this. Also be proactive. Search for ways to help calm yourself naturally. Have you tried breathing? I know we take it for granted but focusing on your breathing REALLY does help. Also try to be realistic in your fears. Break them down. Try to think logically. Those are tips that helped me deal with my own issues. It takes time tho to teach your body & mind to rethink.

I'm still having problems sleeping and this morning when I woke up I was literally shaking all over. It lasted for several minutes then wore off but it scared me. I immediately thought that it's Parkinson's.

I'm also still waiting for the psychiatrist to call me to discuss meds. It's been 3 months since my case worker said she would get the psychiatrist to help me. I'm really feeling like she will never get in touch. Living with anxiety and sleep issues day in day out is really wearing me out.

I'm still having problems sleeping and this morning when I woke up I was literally shaking all over. It lasted for several minutes then wore off but it scared me. I immediately thought that it's Parkinson's.

I'm also still waiting for the psychiatrist to call me to discuss meds. It's been 3 months since my case worker said she would get the psychiatrist to help me. I'm really feeling like she will never get in touch. Living with anxiety and sleep issues day in day out is really wearing me out.
It is awful that you have waited so long to speak with a Psychiatrist. also not being able to sleep will just make you feel worse. hopefully you're seen soon.