• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Is this just a strange coincidence?

I have pondered this for years and figured this is a good forum to ask this question. Out of my inner circle of closest girlfriends, three had brothers who struggled with paranoid schizophrenia, one has a son with schizophrenia and one had a brother with bi-polar disorder. I believe my own brother had some type of nervous breakdown and hasn't been right ever since. What are the odds of that? Does mental illness disproportionately affect males? Also, is it just a weird coincidence that every one of my friends has an affected brother or son, or is it just that it's really that common? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
From the top of my head I don't believe I've seen any studies or anything stating that mental illness disproportionately affects males though there is a web-page here: https://www.menshealthforum.org.uk/key-data-mental-health

This has some really interesting statistics including ones about whether men genuinely have a lower likelihood of mental illness or if it's more to do with the stigma surrounding men getting diagnosed and seeking psychological help.

I personally believe that the sort of mental health problems you're referring to are actually a lot more common than people currently know as it's quite easy for men to go diagnosed for long periods of time compared to women.

I think mental health conditions are more and more common than people think.

my family have a history of it, my brother has paranoid schizophrenia and was diagnosed when he was 18.
Also I think a lot of people just go undiagnosed because they don’t want to be stigmatised, it is sad really that people don’t like talking about mental health 😟

Does mental disorders run in families?

Scientists have long recognized that many psychiatric disorders tend to run in families, suggesting potential genetic roots. Such disorders include autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, major depression and schizophrenia.

Sorry about your friends family and your brother

Does mental disorders run in families?

Scientists have long recognized that many psychiatric disorders tend to run in families, suggesting potential genetic roots. Such disorders include autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, major depression and schizophrenia.

Sorry about your friends family and your brother

yes Mental disorders run in families,

One girlfriend's brother with schizophrenia had a grandfather who suffered terrible depression and committed suicide, one who has two sisters had schizophrenia in their family line but only their brother got it, my friend with the schizophrenic son had a schizophrenic Mom. I have ADD (ADHD as a child) and I suspect my Mom had it too, but my Mom also had nervous breakdowns so perhaps there's some type of genetic link why my brother did too.

One girlfriend's brother with schizophrenia had a grandfather who suffered terrible depression and committed suicide, one who has two sisters had schizophrenia in their family line but only their brother got it, my friend with the schizophrenic son had a schizophrenic Mom. I have ADD (ADHD as a child) and I suspect my Mom had it too, but my Mom also had nervous breakdowns so perhaps there's some type of genetic link why my brother did too.
Yeah I do think it runs in families unfortunately.
Sorry that your family have been through it .
:hug4

Both sides of my family have mental health issues. I was doomed from the get-go lol Re: males, I think they have a harder time 'cos they are supposed to be macho, don't cry types. Add to the general stigma, no wonder they suffer. I have said that I could go to the hospital with my arm dangling, blood gushing (won't try to be too graphic lol), they rush me in, take a look at my chart (depression, anxiety). Close it, look at me, lean into me & say, You know it's not really THAT bad... Here's a script for psychiatric drugs.