• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Mental health with illness

Sometimes people's mental health will change if there is a diagnosis of illness/disease. Is it easily recognizable? Should treatment wait until after treatment for the illness/disease?

I think it's rather common, particularly if the illness is a serious one, to find mental health issues popping up. I imagine it can be hard to recognize for the person dealing with it, and family, because it could come across as stress or just general anxiety, but it's something that should absolutely be monitored and potentially treated. If left unchecked it can spiral into something far, far worse. The mind is a fragile thing, it needs nurtured and maintained in order to keep it healthy.

I think it depends on the disease.

For example: I have Crohn's Disease. When I was first diagnosed and for some time after, my mental health was a disaster. Eventually I learned to cope with it but there's no curing.

Where it becomes problematic is when the symptoms of a disease get exasperated by mental health issues which is the problem with something like Crohn's. If not managed properly, depression, anxiety, and more can be a death knell to those with Crohn's or really any disease that is worsened by mental health issues.

In the instances of those types of diseases, while challenging, it's necessary to try to manage both at the same time.

I have gastrointestinal issues too, I get frequent flareups of Gastritis and I have reoccurring stomach ulcers. I also suffer with IBS. This does really play havoc with my mental health, so I empathise with anybody who suffers with anything more serious.

I have to manage my food intake so carefully to be symptom free, but I also have issues with food and body image so it sometimes can feel like an impossible task and the anxiety and self guilt can be terrible.

I have so many issues brought about through age and my abusing my body when I was young and never thinking about future consequences, but then when you're young you do that lol.

I'm going to try hard to lose some weight, but it's not easy when it's impossible to exercise. I have peripheral neuropathy, which is a for life issue; fatty liver disease, so I can't enjoy a tipple, high blood pressure which is a rollercoaster ride, vertigo, so I need a four-wheel walker (Rollator is the correct term) to make sure that with neuropathy buggering my feet up combined with the vertigo I don't fall over whn out and about.

I've had a tumor removed from my bladder (that was nasty) have arthritis in various places and now possibly in my lower jawbone for which I need to get a GP appointment (good luck with that one lol) to get it checked out. I take a loads of pills, potions and lotions to keep myself going. I've broken my morning pills into groups and given them names - the magnificent seven, the fantastic four, the dynamic duo and Han Solo - then there's another one midafternoon, one at teatime (tamsulosin) and then four before bed. I also have drops for my dry eyes (carbomer, preservative free), a moisturising gel for my dry mouth (Biotene), Voltarol for my arthritis, eyelid wipes for blepharitis, Aveeno moisturising cream for my varicose eczema.

But, despite all of that (and the fact that I'll be 70 this year) I just carry on - it is what it is, no use worrying about it, needs must as the devil drives and I do my best to make sure that I can help those worse off than myself in any way that I can; that, more than anything else, is what keeps me going and makes my day. Stay positive though, it's what helps make each day a little brighter.

I have so many issues brought about through age and my abusing my body when I was young and never thinking about future consequences, but then when you're young you do that lol.

I'm going to try hard to lose some weight, but it's not easy when it's impossible to exercise. I have peripheral neuropathy, which is a for life issue; fatty liver disease, so I can't enjoy a tipple, high blood pressure which is a rollercoaster ride, vertigo, so I need a four-wheel walker (Rollator is the correct term) to make sure that with neuropathy buggering my feet up combined with the vertigo I don't fall over whn out and about.

I've had a tumor removed from my bladder (that was nasty) have arthritis in various places and now possibly in my lower jawbone for which I need to get a GP appointment (good luck with that one lol) to get it checked out. I take a loads of pills, potions and lotions to keep myself going. I've broken my morning pills into groups and given them names - the magnificent seven, the fantastic four, the dynamic duo and Han Solo - then there's another one midafternoon, one at teatime (tamsulosin) and then four before bed. I also have drops for my dry eyes (carbomer, preservative free), a moisturising gel for my dry mouth (Biotene), Voltarol for my arthritis, eyelid wipes for blepharitis, Aveeno moisturising cream for my varicose eczema.

But, despite all of that (and the fact that I'll be 70 this year) I just carry on - it is what it is, no use worrying about it, needs must as the devil drives and I do my best to make sure that I can help those worse off than myself in any way that I can; that, more than anything else, is what keeps me going and makes my day. Stay positive though, it's what helps make each day a little brighter.
I agree with @PGen98 your amazing @Dave !